When the kids are back at school it is time for me to do some big batches of baking. I love spending a Sunday afternoon mixing and creating in the kitchen. With a freezer and pantry stocked with muffins, cookies and loaves we are prepared for packed school lunches and after school snacks. I am so happy that I decided to take a chance on a classic combination of strawberries and bananas. I know my daughter loves smoothies and I had a feeling they would work well in a muffin too. The addition of oats and whole wheat flour make these strawberry banana oatmeal muffins a delicious and nutritious treat.
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped strawberries
2 cups mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup room temperature GayLea Spreadable Butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Whisk together oats, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Add chopped strawberries to flour mixture and toss to coat…this will help stop the strawberries from sinking in the batter.
- Combine mashed bananas with eggs…add one egg at a time and stir until incorporated.
- Stir in butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until everything comes together, don’t over stir.
- Place 1/4 cup of batter into greased muffin tin, we used GayLea Spreadable Butter to grease the muffin tin.
- Bake muffins in 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes. If baking mini-muffins, bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Muffins are done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes in tin and then remove and let cool on rack.
These muffins have a lovely fluffy consistency. To freeze the muffins, arrange them on a baking sheet and place in freezer. Once frozen transfer to a freezer proof container of freezer bag. Muffins can be defrosted in a microwave or inside the oven. The best part about making these muffins is sharing them with my girls. Taking a moment to enjoy a muffin and share a little chat is the absolute best time of the day.