You might recall that our family recently travelled through Northern Ontario. While we were driving along the winding highway I noticed that at certain spots groups of cars were pulled onto the shoulder – people were walking through the bushes at the side of the highway. As I was wondering what in the world the people could possibly risk pulling off the highway for, I noticed that one woman was carrying a bowl. Inside the bowl were wild blueberries. Ah-ha!
Wild blueberries are like gold…so delicious and fresh tasting. I totally understood these peoples’ passion. When we got home from our vacation I knew that I had to get some Ontario blueberries and do some baking. I love indulging in seasonal fruits and I love it when eating healthy tastes so good.
Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Add paper liners to 12 muffin cup tin or lightly butter muffin tin.
2. Mix buttermilk and oats in a small bowl and set aside to soak. *make your own buttermilk by adding 1tbsp white vinegar to 1 cup milk.
3. In a large bowl combine oil, brown sugar and egg…mix with a fork until blended.
4. Add flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and stir until moistened. Pour buttermilk and oat mixture into the bowl and stir. Fold in blueberries.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F. Add paper liners to 12 muffin cup tin or lightly butter muffin tin.
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a small bowl and set aside to soak. *make your own buttermilk by adding 1tbsp white vinegar to 1 cup milk.
- In a large bowl combine oil, brown sugar and egg...mix with a fork until blended.
- Add flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and stir until moistened. Pour buttermilk and oat mixture into the bowl and stir. Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter equally into 12 muffin cups..when I made it I actually ended up with 15 muffins!
- Bake in a 400F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in pan, remove and place on a cooling rack.
How are you enjoying the fruits of the summer season?
Put those blueberries to good use and make a batch of lemon blueberry pancake muffins
Or, a blueberry bread pudding would be amazing too!
Make sure you are following along…
SUBSCRIBE TO KITCHEN COUNTER CHRONICLES TO HAVE OUR DELICIOUS RECIPES, FUN CRAFTS & ACTIVITIES DELIVERED DIRECTLY TO YOUR INBOX.
FOLLOW KITCHEN COUNTER CHRONICLES ON