Outdoor Play Party – Ice Skating with Kids
Welcome to the Outdoor Play Party! We are so happy that you are joining us this week. Last week’s Outdoor Play Party was filled with great wintery posts. It is hard to believe that soon enough we’ll all be sharing ideas about playing in the grass – not the snow. Well, this week I wanted to share with you one of my family’s favourite outdoor activities of the winter…outdoor skating. Last year I did a complete series on the blog featuring various outdoor rinks in our city. This year, we had a hard time finding the time to get to the rink. But, we managed to get to one of our favourite rinks…the Evergreen Brickworks.
Here are 5 fun tips for ice skating with kids
1. Get properly equipped…Head to your local second hand sporting equipment shop for skates, but be sure to buy a new helmet…over time the quality of the plastic and the padding in helmets deteriorate…new is the only way to go.
2. Wear the right gear…Make sure the kids have snow pants, scarves and mittens…the proper winter clothing will not only keep your kids warm, they will also help protect your kids if they fall.
3. Get the lay of the land…find out where you are going to be skating…do they have a washroom? an indoor space to get changed? is there a fee for skating?
4. Know your kids limit…skating is very tiring…if your child is new to skating they might not last very long…that’s okay…make the experience fun and know that you can always go back another day.
5. Sweeten the trip with treats…make sure that you have some change for some after skating treats…a cup of hot chocolate is the perfect way to end the day.
Now, on with the Outdoor Play Party. This week I’ve decided to feature a couple of fun wintery activities because I imagine that we are running out of time to enjoy the snow. Spring is almost in the air around here…why not enjoy one last blast of snow play.
Days in With the Kids fun and beautiful ice jewel hunt activity
Make your own snow cones with Raise a Boy
So many fabulous outdoor activities and stories linked at the last outdoor play party. If you were featured this week, go ahead and grab our “Featured at the Outdoor Play Party” button for your site.
Feel free to link up your outdoor play activities and please grab our button and place it in your site’s side bar, or add a link back to our party. We will happily share your post on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. By contributing your post to this linky party you are giving permission for an image and link to your post to be republished if you are featured.