The heat of the summer has arrived. We have reached peak summertime and it is a beautiful time to head to the farmers’ market and a great time to make a delicious summer salad or summer pasta dish. While our backyard garden is happily growing, there are so many things to see, learn and eat at the farmers’ market.
So, yesterday morning we jumped on our bikes and the whole family rode down to our local famers’ market. As we toured around we simply could not resist the curly-cued garlic scapes. Garlic scapes are the thick, green shoots that sprout out of a garlic plant. According to the farmer, removing the scape produces larger garlic bulbs. The garlic scape tastes very garlicky (is that a word?). I was immediately inspired to make a garlic scape pesto. July is also is the perfect time for picking kale…the kale at the market was green and crisp and fresh. We’ve made pesto out of many different greens…so, why not use kale and why not use garlic scapes?
Kale and Garlic Scape Pesto
2 garlic scapes – about 1/4 cup of chopped garlic scape
kale – about 2 cups chopped
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chopped almonds
1/4 cup of olive oil – may need more
1/4 tsp salt and pepper – to taste
1. Place roughly chopped garlic scape in the food processor, process until finely chopped. I only have a mini food processor and this pesto was easy to make in it.
3. Add parmesan cheese, almonds and salt…process until finely chopped.
4. Add olive oil…this is where personal taste comes into play…if you like a loose pesto, add more oil – if you like a tight pesto, add less oil.
Pesto can be stored in an air tight jar for up to one week. Pesto can also be easily frozen in an ice cube tray, to defrost just pop it into warm pasta or soups. We served our pesto…or “kesto” as my daughters nicknamed it…with freshly grilled steak, roasted potatoes, beets and a green salad. The pesto melted into the steak and made a fabulous dip for the potatoes. Kale and garlic are such nutrient rich foods, I just love packing them both into this easy to make and kid-friendly dish.
Kale and Garlic Scape Pesto
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic scapes
- 2 cups kale
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- Place roughly chopped garlic scape in the food processor, process until finely chopped. I only have a mini food processor and this pesto was easy to make in it.
- Add roughly chopped kale, in small batches...process until finely chopped.
- Add parmesan cheese, almonds and salt...process until finely chopped.
- Add olive oil...this is where personal taste comes into play...if you like a loose pesto, add more oil - if you like a tight pesto, add less oil.
Check out our other delicious summertime recipes in this collection of summer salads
Learn how to make a kale salad with pesto dressing