I did a little cookies experimentation the other day and the results are delicious. When the folks at GayLea asked me to come up with a recipe for their Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Spreadable butter I knew I wanted to do some baking. My first thought was to add the spread to pocket pies…which would have been equally delicious. But, then I thought I would try making something I’ve never made before, a pinwheel cookie. Well, I think these cinnamon roll cookies are going to be a new family favourite.
I know something is loved when I have to hide a dozen in a container, so I have something to photograph for my post. I’m sure if I hadn’t hidden some, they all would have been eaten.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup GayLea Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Spreadables
- Cream together butter and sugars, until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Until eggs are completely incorporated.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, in two batches.
- Split cookie dough in two equal parts, wrap in plastic and place in fridge to chill - about 30 minutes.
- After dough has chilled, on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using an off-set spatula, spread the cinnamon & brown sugar butter all over the dough. Don't worry if it coats evenly, the butter will spread as it bakes.
- Once the spreading is complete, gently roll the dough into a log. Wrap the cookie dough log and place in the fridge to chill - a minimum of 1 hour.
- Once the dough has chilled and feels firm to the touch, use a sharp knife to slice the log into 1/4 inch pinwheels. Again, place these pinwheels on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the fridge to chill - about 30 minutes.
- To bake the cookies, place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet positioned about 1 inch apart...the cookies will spread as they bake.
- Bake the cookies in a 325°F oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Once the dough is in log form, it can be frozen to use at a later time, for up to 1 month.
Reader GayLea Giveaway - To celebrate all of the delicious ways you can infuse Gay Lea’s Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Spreadables into fun recipes, we’re giving away an amazing brunch kit consisting of one Cuisinart Professional Rotary Waffle Maker, one Cuisinart Conical Burr Coffee Grinder and one Staub En France Cast Iron 10” Frypan (total approximate value: $340). The grand prize giveaway will be open from April 1, 2015-April 30, 2015. We’ll also be giving away 1 year of free Gay Lea product (12 coupons for free Gay Lea product) to one reader of Kitchen Counter Chronicles. The giveaway will be open from April 1, 2015-April 30, 2015.
Giveaway Rules & Regulations: Readers may enter across many blogs, they may only win on a single blog. Entrants must be a resident of Canada, however those in Quebec are unfortunately unable to enter the giveaway. Winner(s) can expect their prize in approximately 4-6 weeks.
Be sure to subscribe to Kitchen Counter Chronicles to have our delicious recipes, fun crafts & activities delivered directly to your inbox.
DISCLOSURE: I AM PART OF THE GAY LEA AMBASSADOR CAMPAIGN WITH MOM CENTRAL CANADA AND I RECEIVE SPECIAL PERKS AS PART OF MY AFFILIATION WITH THIS GROUP. THE OPINIONS ON THIS BLOG ARE MY OWN.