There is no doubt about it, we love hot chocolate. In fact, we put together a sweet round up of 15 awesome hot chocolate recipes – seriously, awesome. However, as a mom who is always looking for a sugar free and sugar reduced options for my kids I am always on the look out for alternatives. So, when we were at a local cafe the other day and tried vanilla steamed milk we had to find a way to recreate the drink at home.
Do you need fancy equipment to make steamed milk? Technically, yes. Steamed milk is a process where steam is blown into milk, thus altering the fats in the milk and creating a fluffy foam. We don’t have any fancy equipment – that didn’t stop us. Grab your whisk and get ready to give your arm a workout. A quick whisk in the kitchen will give you the same foam found in steamed milk.
Vanilla Steamed Milk with Maple Syrup Whipped Cream
2 cups 2% milk
2 tsp vanilla
237ml whipping cream
2 tsp maple syrup
1 cinnamon stick
1. Warm milk over medium heat, in a small pan. Continually whisk the milk as it heats up. Milk can easily scald, burn to the bottom of the pot, therefore stay with the milk until it is warmed through and frothy. About 3-5 minutes.
2. Whisk vanilla into the milk.
3. Whisk the whipping cream either by hand, or with a hand held mixer.
4. Add maple syrup to whipped cream.
5. Pour warm milk into mug and top with whipped cream.
6. Grate cinnamon stick over whipped cream.
This recipe will make 2-4 servings. Yes, there is maple syrup in the whipped cream…a tiny bit of unprocessed sugar. When compared to the amount of sugar in a typical mug of hot chocolate this recipe is a great alternative. For a more festive option, crush peppermint candy canes and sprinkle on top of the whipped cream. Add whatever spices you like. My daughters love a mug of vanilla steamed milk as an after school treat. On a chilly night, you really can’t beat cuddling up with a warm mug and a good book.