3 cups penne pasta
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1″ pieces
2 tbsp butter
1 chopped onion
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup diced smoked ham
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
pinch of pepper
1 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
1. Place pasta in a large pot of boiling water, cook for about 6 minutes.
2. Add the asparagus to the boiling pasta water and cook with the pasta for 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Drain and pour into a large bowl.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan.
5. Add onion until softened.
6. Whisk in flour, then gradually whisk in chicken broth…bring to the boil.
7. Reduce heat and add ham, lemon rind, mustard, thyme and pepper.
8. Simmer and add 1 cup of cheese until melted.
9. Pour the sauce over the pasta, sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.