variety colours of felt
1. use a scrap of cardboard to create a circle template. HOT TIP – I used an old ribbon spool.
2. place the cardboard on the felt and cut out a circle…start with the full size and then cut it down ever smaller with each layer of the tree
3. cut enough felt layers to create a tree shape that you like – set aside
4. to make the tree trunk cut a piece of dark felt 2cm X 5cm and a piece of light brown felt 2cm X 4cm.
5. place the light brown felt on top of the dark brown felt and roll them together like a jelly roll.
6. hand stitch the trunk closed along the seam.
7. stitch the trunk to the bottom layer of the tree.
8. feed the needle from the bottom of the tree to the top…then feed the needle back down again and knot.
9. to make the star – cut out a star from the yellow felt…stitch the star on top and then leave a loop of string long enough to hang the ornament from the tree.
I love this little ornament. When I compare mine with the inspiration tree – they look totally different?! Mine are so short and wide!? Whatever…I love them. Pick whichever colours you like and have some fun creating this Christmas tree keepsakes!
PS – We’re off to see Mary Poppins this afternoon…I am SO excited!