My kids love bread…in any shape or form…bread is their favourite. I think this is a pretty common love for most kids…no? I like to use this love to my advantage. These cheddar and herb biscuits are a delicious way to get the kids eating chili, stew and soups. These perfect little dippers are so good that the kids are unable to resist eating the entire dish.
With only a few ingredients it is easy to bake up a batch of cheddar and herb biscuits. We have made these with thyme and chives…choose your child’s favourite herb for added flavour. These are super simple to make.
Cheddar and Herb Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of cold butter
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped herb thyme or chives
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter, until butter is in small, flour coated pieces.
- Add cheddar cheese..stir.
- Stir in buttermilk until wet dough forms.
- Add herbs, mix through dough.
- Knead dough once or twice, on lightly floured surface, dough should be a little wet and soft.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out equal balls of dough.
- Place dough balls on parchment lined baking sheet...about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until top is lightly golden and bottoms are golden.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool.
These biscuits have quickly become a family favourite…as quickly as I bake them – the kids eat them. The best part about these biscuits is how they have my kids eating their entire dinner. My girls dip these biscuits into their chilli and the next thing you know they are cleaning their bowls…seriously. What will you dip your biscuit into?
Be sure to subscribe to Kitchen Counter Chronicles to have our delicious recipes, fun crafts & activities delivered directly to your inbox.
Looking for more family friendly recipes? Follow our Food and Recipe board on Pinterest.