Creative Christmas Countdown Day 15 – Paper Snowflakes

by Jen in craft,creative christmas countdown,holiday,winter

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Welcome to Day 15 of the Creative Christmas Countdown…it’s my turn! Participating in Creative with Kids’ Creative Christmas Countdown is an absolute honour. If you are a first time visitor, welcome. If you are a returning visitor, welcome back.
Here in Toronto, Canada, if we cross our fingers and make a Christmas wish we might just have a white Christmas. There really is something magical about a snow covered Christmas morning. Fortunately, in our house we have a back up plan…paper snowflakes!
My daughter’s and I have been reading some of our snowiest books to prepare ourselves for our snowflake creating, looking for inspiration on the pages of…
“Three Snow Bears” by Jan Brett, “Curious George in the Snow” by Margaret & H.A. Rey,
“Frosty the Snowman” a Little Golden Book
Now it’s time to make some snowflakes…here is what you will need.

Christmas magazines, catalogues
cereal box
ruler
pencil
origami paper
scissors, kid scissors

1. Draw an 8″ square on the cereal box and cut it out…this is your template HOT TIP: you can make a smaller or larger square if you like…the key is it MUST be square.
2. Rip colourful pages from your old magazines and catalogues..we looked for pages that had lots of red and white on them…you can also use origami paper or plain white paper if you like.

3. Trace the square template onto the paper – then cut it out.

4. Fold the paper in half, creating a triangle shape. Depending on the thickness of the paper you are using, the folding can be done either by your child or an adult…my 5 year old daughter could fold the thinner origami paper – not the thickest magazine pages.

5. Fold the paper in half again, creating a smaller triangle shape

6. Fold the triangle into thirds…this may take a couple of tries…the folded sides need to all meet and create a tightly folded triangle

7. Trim the excess ends off the top…the “tail” pieces.
8. Now the creating begins…cut pieces away from the triangle, however you like…it’s time to experiment.
9. When all the cutting is done, open the folds and look at the beautiful, one of a kind, snowflake you have made. Can you see the excitement on my daughter’s face as she opens her first flake! She had the same reaction with each flake she made!

So, now the question is what to do with all of these snowflakes, we have a lot of snowflakes!? Since my girls made a variety of sizes we were able to use them in many different ways. We used thread to string some together and created a trail of snowflakes to hang from the light in our front entranceway.

We used a few snowflakes to decorate gifts that are wrapped with simple craft paper.

We even taped some together to make a garland for our Christmas tree.

I hope you have fun creating your own winter wonderland! I would love to hear how you would display your snowflakes!

Only 9 days left to go in the Creative Christmas Countdown…be sure to follow along here. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow’s activity will be from Living at the Whitehead’s Zoo!

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

RedTedArt December 15, 2011 at 9:57 am

Oooh these turned out so pretty :-)

cathy@nurturestore.co.uk December 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

Lovely! I especially like the idea of adding them to gift wrap.

Jill @ A Mom With A Lesson Plan December 15, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love that you used magazine pages… they made gorgeous snowflakes! Sad to say we have a pile of snowflakes waiting to be hung. You have inspired me to get creative and start displaying these beauties!

KitchenCounterChronicles December 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

Thanks for stopping by…snowflakes everywhere!!

Emma @sciencesparks December 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm

They are beautiful!

Laura @Art For Little Hands December 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Those are really cool. I like how you put some on presents. So fun. Snowflakes are one of my favorite art projects!

Brooke @ Let Kids Create December 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Great ideas! Never thought of using magazines or anything other than white for that matter.

Angelique Felix December 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

So easy to make and yet so magical! Beautiful!!

Toddler Approved December 15, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Love the colors!! I need to do this! They turned out great!

Chrissy @ The Outlaw Mom Blog December 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Really pretty :-) I didn’t know that was today’s activity and I was doing them with my daughter this morning … somehow they turned out as airplanes instead of snowflakes. Glad I know how to do it now from your post!

Aleacia December 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I love how colorful your snowflakes are! We always do white paper or coffee filters but I think we’ll have to try some colorful ones as well :)
~Aleacia

JDaniel4's Mom December 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm

This is a great way to upcycle magazines!

KitchenCounterChronicles December 16, 2011 at 12:48 am

Thanks for the comments ladies! Funny, we never make our snowflakes with white paper…we only use colourful paper!

Mama Pea Pod December 16, 2011 at 1:36 am

These are lovely, Jen, and what creative ways to use them. I love the ones wrapped around the gift!

KitchenCounterChronicles December 16, 2011 at 9:17 am

Thanks Jane, there will be a homemade snowflake on every gift this year.

Vicky December 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm

What pretty snowflakes. Great tutorial! I am a new Fb follower visiting from NutureStore. Vicky from Mess For Less

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) December 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm

This is so cute! I am your newest GFC follower! I’d love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I also wanted to invite you to come link up at TGIF, a kid oriented Linky Party: http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
Merry Christmas!