Green Life – Eco-friendly Ornaments

by Jen in christmas,craft,eco-friendly ornaments,Green life,holiday

I have 6 boxes of Christmas “stuff”…6 boxes. Now, admittedly I inherited 1 box from my mom, but 5 boxes is still a lot of “stuff.” As I poke my way through the bins I find garland and ornaments that have been in my family for many years. My great-grandmother’s Santa, my husbands grandmother’s felt animals and the felt Santa I made 15 years ago. These are as eco-friendly as things can be. They will be passed down through generations, never meeting their end in a landfill. Every year I buy my daughters a new ornament…a keepsake. While I dream of having a fancy designer mono-colour tree…I know in my heart that my hodge-podge tree is truly what I love.
The other thing we do every year is make new ornaments. We give these ornaments as gifts or we add them to our tree. I usually make an ornament for all the children in my family and my friends’ children. Last year I made funny felted snowmen.
This year I’m looking for a fun and creative way to re-use and recycle. Reinvention. This is the key when it comes to eco-friendly ornaments. How can we reinvent something and give it a new life as an ornament on the tree. I found these impressive ideas and wanted to share them with you. An eco-friendly ornament round-up!
Newspaper and ornament forms
toilet paper rolls

cereal boxes and scrap paper
old Christmas cards
cereal box and old Christmas bauble
fabric scraps
magazine scraps and ornament forms
paintcutpaste.com

Time to collect up our fabric scraps, magazines and glue…we’ve got some creating to do! What ornaments are you making today?
And don’t forget, today is Day 7 in the Creative Christmas Countdown…why not enjoy a little hot cocoa while making ornaments with your family!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

maryanne @ mama smiles December 7, 2011 at 11:12 am

What a lovely collection of ornaments! Thanks for including mine in your round-up!

Brooke @ Let Kids Create December 7, 2011 at 11:57 am

These are great! So many things you can do with what you already have.

KitchenCounterChronicles December 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

thanks ladies! Any chance I get to use up those toilet paper rolls :)

Chrissy @ The Outlaw Mom Blog December 8, 2011 at 12:00 am

The toilet paper roll crafts are my favorite – they come out as such beautiful flowers! We made ornaments out of our holiday catalogs and my old magazines this year and laminated them so they’ll stick around forever (http://theoutlawmom.com/2011/12/06/celebrate-homemade-for-the-holidays-recycled-paper-ornaments/). Thanks for this great roundup :-)

The Iowa Farmer's Wife December 8, 2011 at 12:12 am

I love that felted snowman! What a great collection of ornaments! I sure do love toilet paper rolls! :) We are making ornaments for the grandmas next week so I’ll gave to pin this!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree December 8, 2011 at 12:24 am

What a wonderful collection!

catherine @ sun hats & wellie boots December 8, 2011 at 6:23 am

What a lovely selection of ‘green’ decs! I love your felted snowman, so cute! Thanks for sharing our little eco angel :)

KitchenCounterChronicles December 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

Thanks everyone…bring on the toilet paper rolls!

free standing toilet paper holder March 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

These are great! The toilet paper roll crafts are my favorite